Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Thursday, November 25, 2010
I added a little backstitching between the feathers to give him a more "quilted" look, but this is optional.
And....just to give him a little more "pop" I did one row of Turkey Work around the feather fan using Threadgatherer's ribbon. Hopefully we'll have the stitch guide completed soon.
P.S. Did you know that only the male (tom) turkey makes a gobbling sound? The female makes a clicking noise. Thanks to the video on the gas pump at the Shell station for this interesting bit of trivia.
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
I finally finished his face with a modified Sprats Head beak topped with a Buttonhole Bar stitched with silk over red Very Velvet. The wattle is a Byzantine variation, also in silk, lightly padded with red Very Velvet.
One more feather, another wing, and a little background to go!
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Friday, November 19, 2010
The second tail feather is stitched in Mosaic Stitches with Smyrna Crosses using DMC floss and Planet Earth silk
Feather number three is a Victorian Step Variation stitched horizontally. The "white" areas are actually overdyed floss, but the color variation doesn't show up too well in the photo. The colored lines are irregularly spaced, but it is easy to get the correct spacing because the stitches are painted on the canvas.
Thursday, November 18, 2010
He is a smaller version of our #1056 turkey and would be suitable for an advanced beginner or imtermediate class. Many of the stitches are the same ones used on the large gobbler quilt, so this should be easy, quick and fun to stitch.
I started with the head (all basketweave) and body, which is the same Chotti's Plaid used on #1056. The eyes are Smyrna Cross stitches.
The first tail feather on the right will be Stardust Variation in three colors. The background is Woven Stitch, and I've started it right above this feather. I'll be stitching the rest of the feathers before finishing the face, which will be slightly different than our other turkey.
Monday, November 15, 2010
The Kachino's headress used twisted yellow Memory Thread branching off into two curves. Then we used it in the traditional way for the smaller hoops. We also used the twisted technique on Thomaso Mix's lariate and the Ribbon Kachino's headress.
The interlocking circles on Buffalo Bijio's chaps were made by doing buttonhole stitch over the Memory Thread and forming it into circles before sinking and couching it down. This technique was rather time consuming, but the result really gave the appearance of interlocking circles.
Since the twisting was such a success, we also tried braiding with 3 different colors. We'll keep this in mind for a future canvas.