Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Happy Chanukah


Or Happy Hanukkah....either way, have a great holiday!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gobbler Finished - Happy Thanksgiving

The last feather (lower left) was stitched in a modification of Double Stitch Variation.  On the large turkey, this stitch was very difficult to compensate. Since this is an intermediate canvas we changed the stitch slightly to an easier version and still got the same effect.

I added a little backstitching between the feathers to give him a more "quilted" look, but this is optional.
And....just to give him a little more "pop" I did one row of Turkey Work around the feather fan using Threadgatherer's ribbon.  Hopefully we'll have the stitch guide completed soon.


P.S. Did you know that only the male (tom) turkey makes a gobbling sound?  The female makes a clicking noise. Thanks to the video on the gas pump at the Shell station for this interesting bit of trivia.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Two More Feathers and A Face

The next two feathers were stitched in Criss Cross Hungarian using Silk n Colors with Very Velvet for the dots, and Mosaic Square Modified in four different colors to look like a flower pattern.

I finally finished his face with a modified Sprats Head beak topped with a Buttonhole Bar stitched with silk  over red Very Velvet.  The wattle is a Byzantine variation, also in silk,  lightly padded with red Very Velvet.

One more feather, another wing, and a little background to go!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Little More Turkey

I started stitching the fan of feathers behibd his head by back-stitching the black and red single lines.  The remaining diamond shapes were filled with Squared Herringbone stitches, and then the rest of the back-stitches were filled in with the same color.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Little Gobbler - A Wing and More Feathers

Moving right along, the wing is stitched in Milanese Stitch using alternate rows of solid color and overdyed floss.

The second tail feather is stitched in Mosaic Stitches with Smyrna Crosses using DMC floss and Planet Earth silk

Feather number three is a Victorian Step Variation stitched horizontally.  The "white" areas are actually overdyed floss, but the color variation doesn't show up too well in the photo.  The colored lines are irregularly spaced, but it is easy to get the correct spacing because the stitches are painted on the canvas.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Little Gobbler Quilt Block

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it's time to bring out this little guy - new canvas #1059.

He is a smaller version of our #1056 turkey and would be suitable for an advanced beginner or imtermediate class.  Many of the stitches are the same ones used on the large gobbler quilt, so this should be easy, quick and fun to stitch.

I started with the head (all basketweave) and body, which is the same Chotti's Plaid used on #1056.  The eyes are Smyrna Cross stitches.

The first tail feather on the right will be Stardust Variation in three colors.  The background is Woven Stitch, and I've started it right above this feather.    I'll be stitching the rest of the feathers before finishing the face, which will be slightly different than our other turkey.

Monday, November 15, 2010

A Different Twist With DMC Memory Thread

We've used DMC Memory Thread on some of our models by couching it down with matching floss or silk, but sometimes a little more coverage or different texture was needed.  Rather than just using it double we tried twisting the Memory Thread and were very pleased with the results.

The Kachino's headress used twisted yellow Memory Thread branching off into two curves.   Then we used it in the traditional way for the smaller hoops. We also used the twisted technique on Thomaso Mix's lariate and the Ribbon Kachino's headress.

The interlocking circles on Buffalo Bijio's chaps were made by doing buttonhole stitch over the Memory Thread and forming it into circles before  sinking and couching it down. This technique was rather time consuming, but the result really gave the appearance of interlocking circles.

Since the twisting was such a success, we also tried braiding with 3 different colors.  We'll keep this in mind for a future canvas.